NEW DELHI – The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has suspended the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2025 “with immediate effect for one week” following rising cross-border tensions with Pakistan and the mid-match abandonment of Thursday’s game in Dharamsala.
Though the BCCI initially cited a stadium power failure, sources confirmed that air raid alerts in nearby Jammu and Pathankot led to panic and eventually forced the game between Punjab Kings and Delhi Capitals to be called off.
Security Over Sport
“The decision was taken after due consultation with franchises, broadcasters, and sponsors,” said BCCI Secretary Devajit Saikia. “We reassert our full faith in the Armed Forces but believe this pause serves the collective interest of all stakeholders.”
The BCCI further emphasized that while cricket remains a passion, “there is nothing greater than the sovereignty and integrity of our nation.”
Tournament Status
-
The 2025 IPL had begun on March 22 and was set to conclude on May 25 in Kolkata.
-
At the time of suspension, 58 games had been played with 12 group stage matches and playoffs remaining.
-
Affected venues include Lucknow, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Delhi, Chennai, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Jaipur, and Kolkata.
Wider Conflict Context
Tensions surged between India and Pakistan on Wednesday after India launched airstrikes on what it claimed were “terrorist infrastructures” in Pakistan following a deadly attack in occupied Kashmir.
India has accused Pakistan of involvement, a claim Islamabad has denied, demanding an independent investigation instead.
With national security concerns intensifying and armed forces on high alert, the BCCI’s move is seen as a show of solidarity with the Indian government and military.
“It does not look nice that cricket goes on while the country is at war,” a BCCI official told PTI.
The BCCI is expected to announce revised dates and venues for the remaining IPL matches once a full risk assessment is completed.